19 replies to this topic

#1 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:31 AM

Unless they say 'brb' this is almost always a player leaving the game permanently, unlike 'timed out'. 

• Captain Pegleg likes this

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:59 AM

I'm not sure I understand. If the player leaves the server, they'll automatically get reported anyway.

#3 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:53 AM

That doesn't happen for two whole minutes, by which time the 6v5 game could be effectively over.

Edited by fraac, 02 November 2014 - 04:53 AM.

#4 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

Why not just tell the team in mumble that you are coming back?

#5 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

I mean for people who aren't coming back, the ones who just leave. They often don't get enough reps until they're autoreported, and by then the game has fallen apart because one side is getting stomped.

#6 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

I mean for people who aren't coming back, the ones who just leave. They often don't get enough reps until they're autoreported, and by then the game has fallen apart because one side is getting stomped.

oh, yeah stupid me.  I really didn't read that at all accurately.  

I've noticed the problem of people not !reporting players quickly enough too.

#7 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

If you are cognizant with the fact that a player is not returning, you should try and inform everyone in the server to report him. Most people are aware of the existence of the report function, but they might be so invested in the game that they don't think to do it unless they are informed.

The report system is fine as is at the moment. Any fewer reps, and it would become much easier to abuse in my view.

Posted Image

The river Styx is calling your number.
The hot winds of Hell breathe your name.

#8 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

My point is, in my experience of 500 lobbies, is that people often don't report missing players because it needs a break in the action to happen for 4 people simultaneously (end of round isn't a break), so it takes the full 2 minutes for an autoreport, by which time the game is effectively over.

I don't think it's possible to abuse rep for disconnected players, is it? I'm not suggesting to change it for players on the server or ones who timed out.

#9 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Let's say if there are 3 people who dislike another player on the server and have joined to try and annoy him. If he disconnects, they are free to jump on his back and report him instantly, without any repercussions or understanding of the situation. That's still a possibility with 4 players, but it's harder to do and it's not overcomplicating the report system in place by changing the predetermined values.

There is a break in the action, and that's usually death in-game, or perhaps just before a game begins. If you're being dominated in an unfair game, chances are that unless you're overly cautious, you're going to be dead a fair amount.  There are also prompts for expiring votes to give users 2 reminders about a player being reported.

I think the current system is OK. I do get where you're coming from with your suggestion and it is a problem, but there's a little too much risk for the reward in place.

Posted Image

#10 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

"Let's say if there are 3 people who dislike another player on the server and have joined to try and annoy him. If he disconnects, they are free to jump on his back and report him instantly"

How often do you think this has happened? I've never known anything like this.

#11 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

It hasn't happened in a lobby you've been in because the system you've suggested has not been implemented yet.

• Mother Tereza likes this

Posted Image

#12 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

I don't think the difference between 4 and 3 reps is the reason why three people haven't joined a lobby to troll someone and then repped him when he accidentally disconnected.

#13 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

I have heard of instances where it has happened, and it is easy to justify it as within the rules. Bringing it down to three would make it easier to manipulate for not much reward in return in my view.

Posted Image

#14 Harry Kaine

Harry Kaine

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

and u dont know if he maybe reconnects after 1min30 or so. the problem isnt here the report system its the players who leaving ! better think about how we can minimize the  number of ragequitters !

• Mother Tereza likes this

#15 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:08 AM

You can't reduce the ragequitters and people just leaving. It's a constant.

#16 Harry Kaine

Harry Kaine

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:14 AM

LOL it isnt a constante it people would be punished for leaving the number of rq would be lower !

#17 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

No, if you punish them then they'll just sit around afk. It doesn't solve the problem. The number of leaves is constant, all you can do is replace them faster.

#18 fishie

fishie

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

so no punishment for leavers?

Edited by fishie, 03 November 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#19 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

No, if you punish them then they'll just sit around afk. It doesn't solve the problem. The number of leaves is constant, all you can do is replace them faster.

This is not true at all.  I've played plenty of lobbies where nobody leaves or ragequits while in others there are so many people leaving/ragequiting that the lobby closses due to excessive subs.

There also is also an easy way to cut down on the number of people doing this .... Ban them from the site.  If they are not here then they cannot ragequit.

#20 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

No, I mean that the numbers of leavers is constant regardless of 'punishment'. Even banning would have little effect, because it's something everybody does.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined