• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 San Alex

San Alex

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

It looks fun and competitive. I wish we could have Arena Respawn lobbys on tf2center.

• Computer, TheCapeKid, seexemima and 2 others like this

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

I was actually thinking about that. There would need to be some additional implementation though, I think there's a rule about a team choosing a class to ban?

Regardless, it certainly would be really interesting.

#3 sandissimo

sandissimo

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:46 PM

I agree very strongly. This is a very quickly growing gamemode. I'd love to try it out and having it as a format option on tf2c would make it so much easier.

I was actually thinking about that. There would need to be some additional implementation though, I think there's a rule about a team choosing a class to ban?

Regardless, it certainly would be really interesting.

Yes, it'd take some work to get it all working. Hopefully someday it'll happen, I hope.

Edited by sandissimo, 01 November 2014 - 11:48 PM.

• TheCapeKid likes this

#4 Daven

Daven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

It looks fun, and I'd support it. Let's just hope it doesn't turn into 4s/BBall/ulti and never gets played...
Posted Image

#5 Computer

Computer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:32 AM

And serveme.tf has recently added Arena: Respawn to their servers for donators.

#6 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:44 AM

This is pretty exciting for me, I've been an arena player since I first got the game, 90% of my game time has been in arena, I love it!  This seems to have great promise, love the class bans idea.

#7 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Discussed with the team: This is interesting and TF2C can definitely help popularize it. However, there's a lot of design implementation that needs to be thought out, figuring out what is the 'official' version to check for etc.

The most important question remains: is it popular enough that it's worth the implementation time?

• Captain Pegleg likes this

#8 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

If it's in the early stages of its evolution as a competitive game mode, I think we should be a little careful about jumping on the bandwagon. On the one hand, it would be great if we could start implementing a system like this early on in its life so we can get more traffic and hopefully increase its popularity. On the other hand, will it really create much more traffic? It looks like a fun mode to play every once and again, but I guarantee you that it won't be close to as popular as Highlander or 6's is, which take up about 98% of games on the website.

I think we should wait for the game mode to develop a sound set of rules and some more support first before we add it as a game mode personally. 

• kyumin2lee likes this

Posted Image

The river Styx is calling your number.
The hot winds of Hell breathe your name.

#9 San Alex

San Alex

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:02 AM

Discussed with the team: This is interesting and TF2C can definitely help popularize it. However, there's a lot of design implementation that needs to be thought out, figuring out what is the 'official' version to check for etc.

The most important question remains: is it popular enough that it's worth the implementation time?

I have been testing it in the portuguese community, It is quite addictive. There are so many possibilities due to the variety of weapons and strategies. I think it's going to be popular quickly. 

#10 ManSkirtDude101

ManSkirtDude101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

If it's in the early stages of its evolution as a competitive game mode, I think we should be a little careful about jumping on the bandwagon. On the one hand, it would be great if we could start implementing a system like this early on in its life so we can get more traffic and hopefully increase its popularity. On the other hand, will it really create much more traffic? It looks like a fun mode to play every once and again, but I guarantee you that it won't be close to as popular as Highlander or 6's is, which take up about 98% of games on the website.

I think we should wait for the game mode to develop a sound set of rules and some more support first before we add it as a game mode personally.

We did the same thing for 4v4 when it came out as it's first season when it was still trying to finalize the rules.
  • Captain Pegleg likes this
76561198074630755.png

#11 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

We did the same thing for 4v4 when it came out as it's first season when it was still trying to finalize the rules.

Since TF2C is a big community now and not just a place to play lobbies, we could also help in the discussion of rules :>

#12 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

Best leave the rule formulation to those at the top of the competitive ladder. That's not an insult, it's just their judgement is probably significantly better than most of ours.

Edited by RTC, 04 November 2014 - 10:19 PM.

Posted Image

#13 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

People saying this is the version Valve will favour, so the rules would be up to them.

#14 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

The leaked Facepunch documents suggested that it would be favouring Highlander as opposed to Arena Respawn, although there is a possibility Valve could adopt it in the future.

Posted Image

#15 ManSkirtDude101

ManSkirtDude101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:30 PM

The leaked Facepunch documents suggested that it would be favouring Highlander as opposed to Arena Respawn, although there is a possibility Valve could adopt it in the future.

The documents never said anything about which format there using there competive matchmaking for it might be highlander but who knows?
76561198074630755.png

#16 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

The documents never said anything about which format there using there competive matchmaking for it might be highlander but who knows?

http://teamfortress....game/?page=4#97

Thus suggesting that Highlander will be the supported mode.

Posted Image

#17 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

http://teamfortress....game/?page=4#97

Thus suggesting that Highlander will be the supported mode.

It's actually suggesting there will be multiple modes, if you think about it. Maybe not initially.

#18 desza

desza

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

All the files needed: https://github.com/w...e/master/addons

I definitely think it's worth implementing. It's really fun to play and no more difficult to figure out than 6v6. Plus there's a ton of freedom with classes/loadouts so it would be interesting to see what the tf2center community decides to play as. People might not be aware of it now, but putting it on tf2center will make people want  to try it out. I guarantee it will be more popular than ultiduo/bball on tf2center. 

#19 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

I guarantee it will be more popular than ultiduo/bball on tf2center. 

Maybe for the first couple of weeks due to its introduction, but what's to stay it can sustain itself? Not to mention it needs more players than both those modes put together in order to run a lobby successfully.

As I've said, it's a good idea, but there's no necessity to spearhead its popularity yet, especially if a full set of rules has yet to be developed.

Posted Image

#20 CHERRY

CHERRY

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

Bumping this since it's getting more and more traction with it being the format used for this year's annual Charity Mixup.

And since no one actually explained what it besides linking a video here's a quote from official Wiki describing it.

Arena: Respawn is a modification of the Arena game mode, created and maintained by awk. Similarly to the original Arena mode for Team Fortress 2, there are no respawn timers. However, dead teammates can be revived by capturing the central control point. Wins can be achieved by either wiping the enemy team entirely, or by capturing the control point a second time once the doublecap timer runs out.

The gamemode has been mentioned on the official TF2 Blog and has seen invite-level play during its development. The plugin is fully open-source and can be compiled or downloaded from its Github.

https://wiki.teamfor.../Arena:_Respawn

Edited by CHERRY, 29 December 2014 - 06:36 PM.

790159.png?40687377

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community Input