• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 xenith

xenith

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Seriously? I shouldn't even be saying this. TF2C has been known for being incredibly lenient on punishment. This site attracts a huge amount of trolls, especially ones that throw games purposely and mumble-spam. The fact that we have to gather a huge amount of evidence for one ban is already somewhat annoying (mumble recordings, lobby logs, lobby number, demo, stv, witnesses, etc), but when evidence is actually gathered, major offenders like Lobby trolls or racists get one week bans or less, especially when it's the person's 3rd or 4th time getting banned.

Please introduce perma-bans, or at the very least, harsher punishments. People like "Everyday I'm Hustlin'" and "LoveClop" are known trolls to at least a quarter of the community, and they run around rampant because the mods allow them. Reports on these guys are made very frequently, and it's obvious the community does not want people like these guys around, so why let them be?

#2 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

We do perma-ban, just not on the first offence.

• Shea likes this

#3 Computer

Computer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

And the ban lengths progress as the same offense is committed.

#4 Tury

Tury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

So if some saif "fuck you" should they get a 2 week loginl ban?... I see your point thoguh but I think that the only time someone should get perma banned is for hacking or if they are known to be a serious problem to TF2C.

#5 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

Permabans can only achieve so much.

Take a look at this instead:

http://forums.tf2cen...vanced-lobbies/

#6 xenith

xenith

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

At a place where there's literally no punishment for leaving lobbies, it seems like there's literally no punishment at all for trolling and other dumb bullshit. A 2 day bay for someone who's constantly being toxic is nothing when they'll be back before you know it to do it all over again. I'm pretty sure ProfessorCake was banned several times, and the only reason his ban length is "long" right now is because he managed to piss off the creator of TF2C.

If you guys want to stop the trolls who keep doing what they do, and the people who say, "oh its just a lobby" and stuff like that, I do think implementing harsher punishments is needed. 

#7 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

The first ban works more as a warning. If they do it again, the ban length increases. I tend not to see the same people over and over in the ban forum, so it seems to be working fairly well. Or, people aren't reporting, which is an unrelated issue.

#8 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

So back to topic: there is the concept of a permaban.  People get it.  But not a lot because the creators of the site believe heavily in people learning and become productive members of the community.

So this discussion really falls into the "why do you let bad things happen in center games."  Truth is, it is almost impossible to be there every time someone leaves early and deal with the "my computer crashed" arguments, etc.  If you look at the large number of games and fairly small number of staff, it will be obvious that only the bigger issues or the more persistent issues will get punished.

I am glad that we are seen lenient on punishment, btw.

#9 Zwockl

Zwockl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

Adding my two cents here, i have to say that bans sometimes feel a bit out of context, and sometimes things get overheard. This is probably due to the fact that there is such a huge playerbase, some ban reports dont fill in the requirements or that players get too personal about each other. But i have also noticed that different mods have different policys, the ones give lobby creation bans, the others login bans. I dont think that there is a reason to complain, because i havn't seen anybody doing sth truly evil and not getting banned, and the thing is, once they attract attention a second time there is always the first ban report. 

The thing about toxic players, i can defenitely understand and relate to, but i find it easier to ignore them if they are toxic to everybody everytime, since that shows thats its their own problem, and in the end what keeps me playing lobbys is the community, not the gameplay itself.

#10 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

Despite how you may feel about our ban policy xenith, we're happy with it right now and we're doing to best we can to keep on course. Also, I don't feel the need to explain ourselves about specific cases you mentioned.

#11 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

I'm going to mark this as declined, we closely monitor the bans with our moderator team and discuss them in weekly meetings. 

In terms of quality assurance, I'll keep an eye on the approved bans and their lenght like ususal. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined