3 replies to this topic

#1 slayer

slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

So often times people will wait in a lobby to see if someone leaves or fails to ready up and gets booted so they can have that slot that they want which is already taken (e.g. sniper and spy slots are very popular for HL).

It would be cool if you could say pick a few slots as a backup, and if someone fails to ready up then you automatically get their slot.  So for example you see a highlander lobby which has 17/18 players.  You want to play either spy, sniper or medic, so you click on those classes and hit a button that says backup or something.  The lobby fills and the sniper on red team fails to ready up, but you are there and selected that you are willing to backup his slot.  So you instantly fill his slot and everyone's happy and the lobby gets started faster. :)

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

This was considered at some point, but the design implications are too complicated. If it were to be accepted, I don't think it would ever get done, there's too much stuff with high priority on the list.

Also, we want to encourage people to play other classes then their main. Having this would go the other way.

#3 slayer

slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

This was considered at some point, but the design implications are too complicated. If it were to be accepted, I don't think it would ever get done, there's too much stuff with high priority on the list.

Also, we want to encourage people to play other classes then their main. Having this would go the other way.

Alright well another perhaps more simple idea would be to have say a 6's lobby have 1 blank random slot.  So someone can click that box if they are willing to play either class on either team.  Kind of like how airlines overbook flights, it would be like overbooking lobbies.  Then as a reward for people picking these overbooked slots maybe it could rapidly increase their % reliability or something.  But I suppose that also wouldn't be an "easy" feature to implement, but I'm just throwing it out there.

#4 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

You suggestion itself isn't approved, but a derivative will (eventually): using your filter setting, you would be able to subscribe to a class such that you would get a notification when there's a sub for you class and gamemode.

• b33p likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Approved