• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 UL7RA

UL7RA

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Reading here got me thinking that some really interesting heatmaps can be generated from TF2C games and could be used to further comp TF2. The sources from which these were generated do not seem to be very current and competitive (correct me if I'm wrong here), however if this can be implemented here, the info could be very valuable to new HL players.

Thoughts? 

• ninjaMooCow likes this

#2 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

By heatmaps do you mean kill heatmaps or just movement?

#3 UL7RA

UL7RA

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

These specific heatmaps are for buildings and their kills, but "medic death" spots could also be tracked.

The maps have been played to death and strats are well-rehearsed, but hard data would be nice.

#4 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:02 AM

What a crazy good idea.

You may have just wasted 100hrs of mine, you know?

#5 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Other possible ideas are successful sniper spots, successful spy spots (aka places to avoid), death by sniper spots (more places to avoid)...

As a wise man once said: "I dig it".

#6 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

With the amount of consolidated data we can gather, we could have a pretty darn good resource of "go here" "never go here"

• Shea likes this

#7 Shortcut

Shortcut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIn a Better Place

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Few things I noticed:

-The badwater 1st cliff spot isn't even green

-Steel E Offense Sentry is hotter than Defense spot

-Sentry in connector (Viaduct) viable?

• Stepdus likes this
I represent the quarter of hl players on TF2C that are not spy mains.

#8 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

These seem to be using data from pubs.

#9 Tury

Tury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:00 PM

Seems like this wouldn't just help new people but it could probably help all classes and anyone who plays TF2 in a pub or in comp

#10 it-

it-

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

A list of successful spy paths that end in stabs that you could iterate through would be pretty fascinating. I guess the list would be a bunch of "heat" paths, pooled together somewhat, ordered most common to least common. You could also have a sibling "heat" path that started in a similar place, and ended in a similar place, but ultimately resulted in a death.

Yeesh, there's tons of things you could do with heat maps that would be amazing.

Some of these ideas might require additional server plugins to be created though. 

Few things I noticed:

-The badwater 1st cliff spot isn't even green

-Steel E Offense Sentry is hotter than Defense spot

-Sentry in connector (Viaduct) viable?

These heat maps are absurdly old. I recall when badwater first came out, everyone was building sentries inside that shack looking straight at the first cap point. I imagine if they were redone today, you'd see a ton of placement on the cliff. But yeah, this is all from a pub server.

#11 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:19 AM

We could share our data/API with someone who will start the development of such project, but right now we can't support the development of this interesting idea. So if there will be someone brave and smart enough to code this, feel free to ask us. Until then declined.

#12 withadancenumber

withadancenumber

Former Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:05 AM

I remember tf2lobby used to have a scrobbale timeline that popped up on the stats page that had a heatmap. Always thought that was cool. Of course with infinite time to code and develop im sure stuff like this could happen, but I agree it would be a lot of work.

Edited by withadancenumber, 03 December 2014 - 02:06 AM.

Contact me via PM or twitter @DanceNumbah.
If I was helpful to you please click the "Like" button on my post!

#13 inari

inari

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

We could share our data/API with someone who will start the development of such project, but right now we can't support the development of this interesting idea. So if there will be someone brave and smart enough to code this, feel free to ask us. Until then declined.

Wow! What would such data look like? Does the server output kill and killed positions in 3d coordinates? Is it stored after game has ended? I'm not at all familiar with regular tf2 log files.. Given good quality and detailed data, this sounds perfectly doable.. :P Again, wow!

#14 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:40 AM

Wow! What would such data look like? Does the server output kill and killed positions in 3d coordinates? Is it stored after game has ended? I'm not at all familiar with regular tf2 log files.. Given good quality and detailed data, this sounds perfectly doable.. :P Again, wow!

Events are in the log with the attacker and victim positions. You just have to flip the Y axis (because of DirectX), scale and plot the coordinates to your map.

I've written a tool that does this for highlander teams, but I think it's wiser to ask Geit from heatmaps.tf to do that since his is a bit more refined. See http://heatmaps.tf/pl_barnblitz_pro4 per example.

The same data we have is up for grabs by visiting logs.tf, the only reason to get it directly from us is for streamlining it and filter options for lobby numbers, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

#15 inari

inari

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

Then this is basically as simple as a 2d plot with a background image. If one wants to get fancy, one can do it in 3d. Will do this after my final exam this week.

Or, just ask Geit. That is a nice implementation he's got there. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined