60 replies to this topic

#1 Commander

Commander

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

When i join lobbies, I can't see when people join up unless I refresh the page in which sometimes it kicks me.

I tried chrome and firefox.

Mod edit: Merged a topic into this one. I'm not a developer but I suspect there's not a lot the devs can really do about this but I'll mark it as "under review" for now.

Edited by R.E.M., 10 March 2014 - 12:33 AM.
Housekeeping

#2 LimeBowler

LimeBowler

• Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

I get this sometimes; not sure what causes it. I'll be sitting there waiting for that last medic to join, wonder why it's taking so long so refresh, and find I've been kicked because I didn't ready up.

#3 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

It happens when there's a lot of people using the website. From what I understand, there not much TF2C can do besides get a better server for their website (which would probably be around the time they start asking for donation, but I'm just speculating).

#4 Holden

Holden

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hey all !

Always when i connect to a lobby, i can't see the new messages or the new slots taken unless i refresh the page.

And when all the guys are ready to start, i have not the pop up to check ready :/

I tried to disable adblock but that doesn't work.

I can check ready only when all team is ready, I quit the lobby and i retake the slot. So sometimes my place is took when I quit or sometimes the teams insult me of troller :/

Do you have any solutions please ?

Thans by advance and have fun ;)

#5 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Browser version and OS please? :)

#6 `Bonds

`Bonds

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:41 AM

Happens to me too

Im on windows 7 and google chrome

Edited by `Bonds, 02 March 2014 - 03:41 AM.

#7 _CFox

_CFox

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Yes, happens to me too. I use firefox and windows 7

#8 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

I get this bug but only occasionally. Normally just refreshing the page fixes the problem. I'm on Windows 7 and FireFox v27.0.1

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#9 talse

talse

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

Same problem here, on Windows 8.1, with Google Chrome.

#10 Rajikaru

Rajikaru

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:18 AM

Yep, I have the same exact problem. Windows 7, and just about every possible browser (Google Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera, even the Steam Browser) has the problem. I literally can't play in/join lobbies at all because of this problem, and it's incredibly annoying because Tf2lobby is dead and I have no way to practice the upcoming maps for Highlander with the parts of my combo, sans our maybe 3 scrims a week (which isn't nearly enough) and pugs, which I rarely bother with.

Also, to go in depth, the problem is active on every TF2center page, and it's the problem of every possible item (chat, lobbies, etc) not updating when something new happens. I have to refresh to see new lobbies, I have to refresh to see if a spot is taken in the lobby or has been since the last time, and I can't play at all because I have to refresh to see if anybody's readied up, and usually the refreshing will both unready me AND remove me from my spot in the lobby.

I check back every now and then to see if the problem is fixed, as you guys seemed to at least claim you fixed it a while ago, but alas.

Edited by Rajikaru, 07 March 2014 - 04:27 AM.

• Rajikaru likes this

#11 shrak

shrak

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

I am having the refresh issue. Using Chrome on Win7.

In my case I am using Squid web proxy (which appears to be the source of the issue) and can see this in the logs:

1394437586.649      0 my.ip.ad.dr TCP_DENIED/403 3501 CONNECT rc.tf2center.com:80 - NONE/- text/html

If I either allow CONNECT to port 80 in Squid, or add tf2center to the proxy bypass list in Internet Options, the site starts working properly again. As a bandaid fix for me this works fine, however it might not be possible for users without access to the right settings/behind restrictive firewalls/proxies etc.

Hope this helps.

#12 k-swizzle

k-swizzle

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hey all, having the problem in question: need to refresh the page to retrieve any new content from chatbox. Same applies to joining lobbies: need to refresh the page for browser to display the change from spectator to whichever class I selected. I've experienced this problem on both Safari and Chrome. Both of my browsers are up-to-date with their latest released versions. I am using a 2011 Macbook Pro (running Mac OS X Snow Leopard). I've used tf2center in the past (approx. a month or so ago) and had no problems back then- really can't seem to think of anything on my end at all. 

Hoping for a fix at some point soon! Keep up the great work on tf2c!

Thanks,

-K

edit: I am not behind a Squid Proxy

Edited by k-swizzle, 10 March 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#13 k-swizzle

k-swizzle

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

just a little bump as it's been a few days and haven't seen any changes- I still am experiencing this problem, which prevents me from being able to join lobbies correctly as I have to refresh the page in order to ready up (at which point I get kicked...). Please could somebody take a look at this and possibly work on a fix? I'd really enjoy being able to use tf2c properly as soon as possible! Many thanks, K.

#14 Some_Thing

Some_Thing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationPerth Australia

Steam Profile

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Can you try not using Safari? Try Google Chrome and see if that works. Apple have a habbit of breaking things and Safari generally is just painfully broken. I hate Macs, can you tell?

#15 k-swizzle

k-swizzle

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

I've tried Safari, Chrome and downloaded Firefox just for experiment's sake- I don't think it seems to be a browser issue... but macs are nice :( haha I know where you're coming from though ;)

#16 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

I use FireFox on a Mac and it works like a charm.

@Some_Thing: I can see you're more of an engineer than a HCI person.

#17 talse

talse

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Ok, so I have done all the testing I can, and come up with some interesting results. 

I started by trying different browsers. I am on Windows 8.1, and I tried Google Chrome, Firefox, and IE, each at their latest stable version. The site did not update on any of them.

I then tried on Linux, specifically Arch, using Chromium, and Firefox. The site did not work on either.

I then switched back to windows, and tried switching dns servers, still no luck (not that I expected anything).

I tried on my laptop, both on windows 7 and linux, no luck on either.

I even tried on my Android tablet, no luck on there.

Then, I tried a VPN to the US. Finally, FINALLY! The site works as intended. Things change on the page without having to refresh! Unfortunately, any server I connect to would have at least 200 ping (live in NZ), so the game would be unplayable, but at least we are getting somewhere.

So, the question is: Why does the VPN fix things? Is my ISP having some shenanigans with my connection to TF2Center? How can I troubleshoot this further?

• R.E.M. likes this

#18 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

The first options are more testing - try http://websocketstest.com/ and http://www.websocket.org/echo.html and check you get OKs for all of those. Particularly for the second one, leave it connected for a little while before trying the echo to check the persistent connection works.

Secondly, run a traceroute to rc.tf2center.com from your main connection and via the VPN and see where the differences are.

This all sounds (to my limited networking knowledge) like a problem at the IP layer, so your ISP or somewhere further up the chain is killing the persistent connection. In chrome developer tools you should be able to see network traffic along the websocket too, so would be interesting to see if you're seeing any traffic at all, or the original connection is being rejected for some reason.

Finally, what's your IP (PM me if you like) and I'll see if we see anything in our logs.

#19 jayserp

jayserp

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

I can confirm this bug. I'm connecting in from hotel internet and am unable to use websockets. I'll take a look at this and see if I can find the cause when I get back tonight.

jayserp | steam

#20 talse

talse

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, looks like I can't connect to the websocket. For the first page, it is unable to connect for "WebSockets (Port 80)", although on 443 is fine.
For the second, I just get "ERROR: undefined DISCONNECTED", but works fine when I tick "Use secure WebSocket (TLS)".

Would tf2center be able to run over https? Even if it is just a self-made certificate, it looks like it should fix it (for me at least).

And finally, traceroutes: Standard: http://snipt.org/PfjH2 VPN: http://snipt.org/PfjI5

Edited by talse, 19 March 2014 - 11:59 AM.

• R.E.M. likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: In Progress