23 replies to this topic

#1 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

In-game rep doesn't work half the time.  It's silly to have a lobby die because there's no way to report an easy-to-find class.

• The Once and Future King, ninjaMooCow and seexemima like this

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

It does make a whole lot of sense, even though we should operate under the assumption that the bugs don't exist.

#3 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

It's possible for the log tracking to fail for other reasons.  Bugs or no, it's best not to assume it will work 100% of the time and aim to keep lobbies functional in spite of that.

• The Once and Future King likes this

#4 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

Fair point.

#5 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:28 AM

Lack of this is making lobbies unplayable.  As soon as you lose someone may as well close the lobby.

• The Once and Future King likes this

#6 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

In-game rep doesn't work half the time.

Where is the bug report for this?

#7 juju

juju

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFinland, Espoo

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Put a "report" button on the lobby webpage

This would be great add for sure. I usually do other things while waiting to get last people on server when i'm not farming my stranges. Makes a lot easier to report with just one click rather than write in game ''!rep their soldier2'' when i don't have tf2 opened

#8 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Where is the bug report for this?

You have the logs.  Look for ones that are very short.   It varies day by day.  On the two days I posted it was a lot worse than "half".  

The bug is incidental to the feature request because:

It's possible for the log tracking to fail for other reasons.  Bugs or no, it's best not to assume it will work 100% of the time and aim to keep lobbies functional in spite of that.

You can't control all the logtracking failure modes that ruin lobbies. You can control the presence of a rep button on the lobby page.

#9 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:59 AM

I agree with naknak, that from UX view the additional button to report missing players won't hurt and even will be helpful. I also very often switches back to the site while waiting game start and was noticed the absence of this feature on a site.
Only one important thing - notifications from both reporting systems, in-game and site based, should be synchronised. So reporting messages must be appearing in a lobby chat on the site and in the game simultaneously.

#10 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

Here's a lobby today where it didn't work: http://rc.tf2center.com/lobbies/189572  Tragic host.

Luckily we were able to play 8v8 in this case and have a good game anyway.  Here's what it looks like after the lobby has finished: http://i.imgur.com/EKjrxMg.png  

>70% of lobbies have at least one reported player (from a sample of 500).  It's not exaggeration to say this problem ruins lobbies.  

#11 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

I spoke to Void about this, and it turns out that there is a specific issue with tragic. The thing is that they use a different outbound IP for the logs than the server itself, which we block (since anyone can potentially spam us). So  before we start building in buttons, I would rather solve the core issue here.

#12 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Try removing the cvars mentioned in this post ( http://forums.tf2cen...sues/#entry9023 ) from your config file. That fixed it for someone else.

#13 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

Try removing the cvars mentioned in this post ( http://forums.tf2cen...sues/#entry9023 ) from your config file. That fixed it for someone else.

It's not my server but I doubt this has any effect on the source address of log packets.  You need something like logaddress_bind x.x.x.x , which doesn't exist.

The thing is that they use a different outbound IP for the logs than the server itself, which we block (since anyone can potentially spam us). So  before we start building in buttons, I would rather solve the core issue here.

The core issue is "log tracking must work 100% of the time or the lobby fails" and it's unsolvable.    Suppose you use the sv_password log entry as an auth token to enable stateful blocking.  Then Tragic servers work and you still have this problem:

I will also note that the current setup does not achieve the goal of preventing alien packets.  You're using the source IP of a UDP packet for authentication, when it is not a trustworthy field.    It would be trivial for someone to find the address of a running lobby and generate fake !reps or falsify evidence of rulebreaking or whatever.

#14 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

I will also note that the current setup does not achieve the goal of preventing alien packets.  You're using the source IP of a UDP packet for authentication, when it is not a trustworthy field.    It would be trivial for someone to find the address of a running lobby and generate fake !reps or falsify evidence of rulebreaking or whatever.

Since this is UDP, you are correct. We will remove that IP check, since it will be easy to spoof anyway.

However, the configs Void brought up still apply tho, which is most likely the cause of things not working.

#15 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

However, the configs Void brought up still apply tho, which is most likely the cause of things not working.

Hm, no.  I'm not sure how either of you got this idea.  Try it and see.

#16 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

The config problems and the IP spoofing are 2 different things that will lead to the same result: tf2c will not be able to communicate with the game server. I just told you I would remove the IP check, since it would be pointless (as you pointed out), but the second reason has proven to be a problem, regardless of any outbound IP address.

#17 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

What is needed here, a skywriter? Jesus Christ himself to descend in a chariot and decree that log sending is not 100% reliable? This is ruining lobbies for no good reason.
  • Tury likes this

#18 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

What is needed here, a skywriter? Jesus Christ himself to descend in a chariot and decree that log sending is not 100% reliable? This is ruining lobbies for no good reason.

Time is needed here. Can you calm down and wait for the tf2c devs to get stuff done? I am gonna say this again, out of my 300 EU Lobbies, it only happened a few times where the manual reporting did not work, so if you're saying you have that many problems, provide us with info about that servers instead of nonconstructive statements. 

#19 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Why add a report button, if the lobby will never end due to the "End Game" event being detected? The reporting issue isn't the only problem. If a server is blocked the UDP traffic, a hell of a lot more is blocked than just !rep, such as the game events, the sv_cheats / sv_gravity cvar changes, etc... It's a much larger issue than just !rep.

Why not simply add the listener when the lobby starts, and if you receive the "Sock timeout occurred" error, block the lobby from being made on that server, listing that the UDP traffic is blocked? Would stop the crappy servers from ruining lobbies.
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#20 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Why not simply add the listener when the lobby starts, and if you receive the "Sock timeout occurred" error, block the lobby from being made on that server, listing that the UDP traffic is blocked? Would stop the crappy servers from ruining lobbies.

I like that idea actually!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scheduled