#21 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

That's what the slot reservation feature is for.

Edited by The Once and Future King, 06 August 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#22 glitter

glitter

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

Opinions from my experiences of making lobbies (as I've made 300+ in the last few months, ahaha):

• Lobby leaders should have the right to kick whoever they want. They go through the trouble of making a lobby - using either their server or renting one - and have responsibility in how it is run (in my opinion). There is always a reason for why a person doesn't like another player. Whether it warrants a lobby ban is the leader's discretion. I've rarely banned players from lobbies that I host and it's always for extreme situations. If you are banned, there is always another lobby to join, or you can make one yourself.

Lobby leaders should not be punished for banning players from their lobby. Say, as an example, you severely dislike someone and would like to avoid them. Personally, I don't ban someone unless I am extremely uncomfortable with a player's behavior (harassment or antagonizing players). Not sure what other justification is needed? If they are trolling, well, there will be enough backlash from users to file a report.

• Wholeheartedly agree with REM about receiving a popup indicating that you've been banned. Lobby chat would be handy to inform of kicks and bans to everyone. As for reasoning, it matters very little. If the leader is petty, really dislikes you, or trolling, it isn't worth joining the lobby anyway. However, I would appreciate notification of being kicked or banned. Sometimes I accidentally close one of the many TF2C pages and leave a lobby and sometimes I get kicked/banned (without reason). It'd also be great to have the banned lobby be whited out/crossed out so that I don't get confused between joinable/nonjoinable lobbies. 
  • As for friends joining last minute - this happens really often. I hate, hate, hate kicking people because I know the horrible feeling of waiting an hour or so for a lobby to start only to be kicked. It's always been first come, first serve. Simple enough but the argument I pose in reply to the reserved slots is: you can't retroactively create reserved slots. What then? I still want my friends to play, but I always choose to not kick players. Being able to change slot status before anyone joins it would help a lot.
  • And the suggestion no one has mentioned so far is: UNBANNING. Sometimes I accidentally click the ban/kick button if I rush to ready up because I mash it (it doesn't register sometimes...) or when I change program windows. If there's an unban feature, I'd like to also suggest that banned players are able to re-enter banned lobbies (whether or not they can use the chat is up to the mods/devs - I don't know how it would play out). 

Long post, but 

tl;dr - Lobby leaders should kick/ban whoever they want; notifications are a fantastic idea; unban feature could be useful

• Swagni likes this

#23 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

• Lobby leaders should have the right to kick whoever they want. They go through the trouble of making a lobby - using either their server or renting one - and have responsibility in how it is run (in my opinion). 

This makes sense to some extent, but it's one thing to kick someone because you don't like someone and you kick them right when they join and a completely different to do so because someone showed up when the lobby was nearly full and wants a slot so the leader kicks someone who has been waiting for 10-90 minutes for the lobby to start.  What about once the lobby starts and people don't show up so now we are waiting for subs to join and someone the leader doesn't like joins as sub, should they be able to kcik/ban them from the server?  What if it's after it has actually started and the sub comes mid game that the leader doesn't like, should he/she be able to kick them at that point?  By the logic of the leader being the server owner so they should be able to do whatever they want then they should be able to do whatever they want in-game too, and we know that (thankfully) leaders will get banned if they abuse any admin plugins or the rcon.

• As for friends joining last minute - this happens really often. I hate, hate, hate kicking people because I know the horrible feeling of waiting an hour or so for a lobby to start only to be kicked. It's always been first come, first serve. Simple enough but the argument I pose in reply to the reserved slots is: you can't retroactively create reserved slots. What then? I still want my friends to play, but I always choose to not kick players. Being able to change slot status before anyone joins it would help a lot.

There definetly should be the ability to reserve slots after lobby creation.  Unfortunately that has been suggested before and already delclined because lobby leaders would apparently abuse the kick/ban button to reserve slots for their friends (http://forums.tf2cen...served#entry963).

• R.E.M. likes this

#24 Calum

Calum

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

I have just been banned from a lobby for no apparent reason. People argue that there MUST be a reason, but in this case, I joined heavy in this lobby:

http://rc.tf2center.com/lobbies/185253

HEAVY - one of the hardest classes to fill - and the leader (http://rc.tf2center....561198068075390) banned me from the lobby. I know this because I was redirected back to the tf2c homepage, and when I tried to rejoin the lobby, it just kept redirecting me.

NOTHING on my profile screams "bad player" - my 650 odd lobbies, my 6500 odd hours of tf2, even if you go through my logs, there are few incidences where I have poorly played, or trolled in lobbies. I always join mumble when I can (and ALWAYS on mumble req lobbies).

Edited by Calum, 12 August 2014 - 02:45 PM.

• R.E.M. likes this

#25 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Tbh I don't get this whole "lobby leaders should have rights" argument at least in this context. Yes, it's possibly their server (more often it's a rental) and they should be allowed to do what they want with their server. However TF2C has it's own servers that we use to provide a platform for others to advertise their lobbies. It's up to us whether or not you're allowed to create lobbies on our website and so if a lobby leader starts acting like a jerk then we can't reposses his server but we can stop him from using our site to create lobbies. We're perfectly in our rights to do that and just like RCON command abuse, misusing the ban from lobby feature is and should be classified as a breach of our rules and a breach of your agreement to our Terms & conditions which you agree to when you sign up to use this website.

So if a lobby leader is banning people without giving a reason beforehand I would say that is equivelant to banning someone for no reason because they could make up any old excuse afterwards. I also think that whilst it's not actionable to ban people for "not liking them" it should be very much frowned upon unless they have a history of breaking the rules and/or a near universally negative reputation in the community. I'm not the most popular person in the world but I don't break rules, I take all lobbies seriously and I'm not (at least to my knowledge) rude to people in the in-game chat, site chat or mumble. I would defy anybody to prove me otherwise.

Edited by R.E.M., 12 August 2014 - 02:51 PM.

• The Once and Future King, TheMattgician and Calum like this
Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#26 Kitty

Kitty

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

"I'm upset because someone doesn't like me enough to let me play in their lobby"

"There will be zero other lobbies to play within the next 5 minutes so I may as well complain in the forums"

Seriously. Get over it. In the time it took you to write this post two more lobbies were probably created. No one cares who likes or dislikes you but if you're banned its for a reason and honestly its not a login, it's not a chat ban. So there's zero use of getting heated over it unless you're just flat out immature.

#27 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

Seriously. Get over it. In the time it took you to write this post two more lobbies were probably created. No one cares who likes or dislikes you but if you're banned its for a reason and honestly its not a login, it's not a chat ban. So there's zero use of getting heated over it unless you're just flat out immature.

You clearly don't get it. It's not about whether people or like me or not I couldn't give a toss frankly whether the people who banned me from their lobbies liked me or not but the current system is uninformative, unfair and is open to abuse. Also if I get banned from a lobby there isn't always another one to join and it's highly annoying when I sit in a lobby for 10+ mins only to get removed and unable to join another lobby.

Perhaps if you actually bothered reading what I wrote you'd know that but rather you'll just resort to name calling me so I'm not gonna bother discussing this with you any furthur than this post

Edited by R.E.M., 14 August 2014 - 12:45 AM.

• The Once and Future King and Calum like this
Former TF2C Moderator

#28 Kitty

Kitty

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:34 AM

You clearly don't get it. It's not about whether people or like me or not I couldn't give a toss frankly whether the people who banned me from their lobbies liked me or not but the current system is uninformative, unfair and is open to abuse. Also if I get banned from a lobby there isn't always another one to join and it's highly annoying when I sit in a lobby for 10+ mins only to get removed and unable to join another lobby.

Perhaps if you actually bothered reading what I wrote you'd know that but rather you'll just resort to name calling me so I'm not gonna bother discussing this with you any furthur than this post

"Open to abuse"

Abuse it too much and suddenly there isn't anyone playing in your lobby because they're all banned. Lol the only person abuse for the ban feature will affect is the lobby leader. 

#29 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Abuse it too much and suddenly there isn't anyone playing in your lobby because they're all banned. Lol the only person abuse for the ban feature will affect is the lobby leader. 

There's a pretty large pool of players...

• R.E.M. likes this

#30 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

We have 1000s of unique players on our site and yes eventually the lobby leader will be affected but not after he's ruined the fun of countless other people on the site and as somebody who cares about the site and cares about people's experience of the site, I would rather avoid having a bunch of pissed off people getting banned from lobbies for dumb or non-existant reasons. As I said already you don't get what this is about, you've decided that this is a personal problem despite people backing me up in this thread. So I suggest you carry on thinking whatever you want to think and I will carry on trying to improve and reform this site for the better to make it user friendly and enjoyable for as many people as possible.

Edited by R.E.M., 14 August 2014 - 04:40 PM.

• The Once and Future King likes this
Former TF2C Moderator

#31 Aphex

Aphex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

or if my friend decides they RANDOMLY want to play. I say randomly because I could make the lobby then ten minutes later a friend shows up. I do warn the player to get off the class slot before kicking them tho this rarely happens anyways. 

That is kind of an assholish move.  Someone just sat in your lobby for 10 minutes ignoring open spots in other lobbies and you go and kick them because your friend randomly decides he wants to join.  This is probably one of the worst and most invalid reasons to kick/ban someone from a lobby.

Definitely have to agree with you here, from someone who often has to wait up to an hour for lobbies to start (4v4) anyone who has had the patience to sit there with me the whole time deserves their slot more than anyone on my friends list

How many binds could a pyro spam if a pyro could spam binds?

#32 Flawless

Flawless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

I'm going to open a can of worms. I use the kick button very often! I open a lobby and my friends would message me and tell me to give them whichever class they want. Idk about you guys, but i rather have a friend play with me than a random on tf2center, therefore i kick the player in that slot for my friend. Why not reserve the slot? most of the time idk if my friends are there to play. I've done this many many many times, 550+ lobbies and ive made about 400 of them. keep the system, it's fine the way it is. If you are constantly banned or kicked, maybe they are trying to tell you something.

#33 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

Why not reserve the slot? most of the time idk if my friends are there to play. 

Maybe ask them before starting the lobby instead of after starting it.  Problem solved without being an Ass and kicking people.

Edited by The Once and Future King, 02 September 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#34 Flawless

Flawless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

Maybe ask them before starting the lobby instead of after starting it.  Problem solved without being an Ass and kicking people.

too much effort, the kick button is easier.

#35 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

too much effort, the kick button is easier.

I suppose it is easier ... at least if you have no common courtesy anyway.

#36 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'm going to open a can of worms. I use the kick button very often! I open a lobby and my friends would message me and tell me to give them whichever class they want. Idk about you guys, but i rather have a friend play with me than a random on tf2center, therefore i kick the player in that slot for my friend. Why not reserve the slot? most of the time idk if my friends are there to play. I've done this many many many times, 550+ lobbies and ive made about 400 of them. keep the system, it's fine the way it is.

So let's say that you're in someone else's lobby with a friend minding your own business for 10-20 mins sometimes (if it's HL) only to be kicked by someone for no reason and with no warning because his friend messaged him 30 seconds ago to ask him for your spot. Is that fair? Wouldn't that irritate you if you were the person getting kicked? Now let's say you are in a lobby with friends and your friend was hoping to play that lobby with you. Now he has to leave his slot as well etc. You see where I'm going with this? It's a selfish thing to do, if your friend messaged you after the lobby has been made then tell him it's tough luck and wait. That's what I do if my friends tell me to kick someone.

If you are constantly banned or kicked, maybe they are trying to tell you something.

Tell me what? Kicking/banning me tells me nothing, actually writing a message in the chat box tells me everything. If I get kicked or banned without being told why then I have learnt nothing about how I could improve my behaviour or whatever else I would need to do to be more appealing to the community. Although to be honest I have a lot of friends here and very few people I know actually hate me and the ones that do hate me have usually been banned by me at some point or another.

Edited by R.E.M., 03 September 2014 - 11:14 AM.

• TheMattgician likes this
Former TF2C Moderator