7 replies to this topic

#1 mizx

mizx

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

After a lobby is over, ask the host if he wants to continue the current lobby. If so, he could just supply a map name, and start a new lobby. This would be an awesome feature when a game is super close, and the majority of players want to continue playing or essentially do a re-match.

How would it work?

When the game is over, wait 60-90 seconds. Right when it ends, ask the host if he wants to continue. If so, have him provide a map name to start up on (by typing it--this could be improved with a custom plugin). After a map is chosen (assumed no continued lobby if no response), it will change to that map and initialize the server for the next game. Whoever has not disconnected will automatically be put into the lobby as the same class and team they were on. You would need some way of making these players say they are going to continue playing, because some tend to go AFK instantly after the game ends--maybe !ready or !continue to confirm? AFK's could be kicked on map change. This would make it easier to keep friends together, keep people playing TF2C (hopefully minimizing the wait time for lobbies), and keep fun/positive experiences going.

Of course if you had to go, you could just leave within those 60-90 seconds. If it was a super successful lobby, hopefully you will require only a few people.

Other notes:

• Would be like you are actually creating a new lobby, would need a new Lobby ID (especially if you guys implement Lobby History)
  • With a custom plugin, you could have the remaining players vote for a map if the host wanted to continue

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

I actually quite like this idea, it makes lobby joining more dynamic. There might be an issue of people hoarding classes like sniper or spy, making it hard for other players to join those classes.

Most design issues are solved by the fact that people can leave the new lobby. It doesn't even seem like a large thing to implement (at least at the surface).

#3 mizx

mizx

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yes I can see that, but it's more of keeping the team you played together. Right now when mumble channels merge, we are like "OK what lobby are we joining? You guys putting up another one?!" With this, a lot of times we play the same classes anyways, and someone will hold a popular spot (such as sniper or spy) for another player until they get in the new lobby, so really there's not too much of a difference in the end (from my experience).

One current feature that would need to be adjusted is the player check/auto kick feature for initializing lobbies.

#4 georgebaii

georgebaii

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Lobby durations can vary, you can either have a tight match that takes around 30 mins, or a quickfire round that can last barely 10 mins. Longer lobbies give the player more of a wider scope into how they did and what to improve on. So maybe an optional feature could be to have an extra map played like in Officials which can give more time for players practicing to try a different tactic, to have another chance to show their worth and for an overall longer experience. It could make Tf2center somewhat of a hub for organising scrims as well.

#5 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:09 AM

Brought this up at the last staff meeting. This would probably just be for Advanced Lobbies (it makes too much sense).

The behavior that would be that between maps, everyone would be thrown back to the lobby page and asked to ready up. Those who wish to stay keep their classes, those who don't are free to leave.

#6 Tury

Tury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

This is probably a terrible idea and I haven't put much thought into it even but I was just thinking about having multiple maps in a lobby. Like you join the lobby as pyro, and it would show that the 1st map is going to be Upward, then the next map will be Process, etc.

Basically it would be a "playlist" lobby or something where you sign up to do more than just one map. They would be marked so that you don't accidentally join one and then not have time to finish it. 

A positive would be that sometimes people just want to keep playing instead of playing a lobby then waiting another 20 minutes to play a lobby. So it would sorta be like Pugs or something

There's a lot of downsides like people wouldn't have time to play multiple maps and it might be difficult to implement into TF2Center but I just thought I'd put it out there for the sake of it

Edited by TheMattgician, 31 January 2015 - 08:36 PM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Multiple Maps per lobby"

#7 man_animal

man_animal

• Users
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

Is it possible to add in a system where if the majority of a lobby agrees ingame they can extend the duration of the game? Sometimes when you're having fun it sucks to have it end to time limits where some maps can take significantly longer than 30 minutes.

I think it should require 10/12; 15/18 (~80%) players to vote agree and if it passes people should be able to report themselves or leave with little or no penalty. Alternatively, it can require a significantly lower percentage such as 4/12; 6/18 (~30%) and players can leave or report themselves for subs with no penalty. They should be expected to play the 30 minutes, but not more.

Also, I'm not sure if it's possible to allow a custom amount of time for each extension (i.e, !extend 30 to start a vote to extend the map 30 minutes) but it doesn't sound to far fetched. 

Edited by TheMattgician, 08 February 2015 - 01:58 AM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Vote Map Time Extend"

#8 Coca

Coca

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

As most as you guys know,if you play a lobby its only one map.

But i have an idea:

Like add lobbies that can have more maps then just one.

Just like a scrim.

I thought this might be an idea for TF2Center.

Edited by TheMattgician, 19 March 2015 - 02:48 AM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Lobby Idea"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Approved