Photo
- - - - -
Scheduled

Lobby Join cool-down for ragequitters

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Ragequitters' cool down poll (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Should people who disconnect from lobbies be unable to join lobbies for 30 minutes thereafter?

1. Yes (52 votes [76.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. No (14 votes [20.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

3. I don't care (2 votes [2.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 jmomo

jmomo

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

I think this is a good idea, but caution should be taken to not punish players who have reasonable reasons to rage quit a lobby.

For example, I had to rage quit two lobbies because the server being used was giving me a ping of 850ms and the game was unplayable. I did this before round start.

It needs to be acknowledged that there isn't currently a way for a player to back out of a lobby in a controlled manner. Reporting yourself or having others report yourself obviously has (and should have) a stigma to it worse than a rage quit.

The above problem could be fixed by offering a command to forfeit for your place. Forfeiture should still not be something which can occur on a regular basis, but there are ways to control for it. For example, you are awarded one forfit point per ten lobbies played, with a max of five or ten forfeits, and then they count as rage quits.

The auto reporting system takes awhile to kick in, and it takes time away from the whole team/server to have to rep a person when they leave mid-match. Being able to forfeit your spot saves everyone time and would get a replacement into the match faster.

Is this a problem that the same players are serially rage-quitting, or are there enough players in the general population rage-quitting? Depending on the answer, there are different ways to address the issue.

Anyway, back to the issue of addressing rage quitters themselves...

Serial rage-quitters rage quit a lot. It should be easy to identify them.

Here are two examples of two rage-quitters which I have seen playing in the last two weeks. These players have rage quit from at least three lobbies which I have been in personally, and I've seen them being called out for their behavior in lobby chat. They basically have a bad community reputation now.

https://tf2center.co...561198165163405

https://tf2center.co...561198025469129

In the case of Whopper, he was up to a 25% rage quit rate with 10/40, within a period of 30 days. Easy to spot.

In the case of Loveclop, he has far more total lobbies played, but I am willing to bet his recent percentage is very similar to Whopper there.

Here is another idea:  If a player reaches a certain rage quit percentage, make them click-through a warning page to be able to browse lobbies again.

This won't work for trolls, but I am willing to bet it could have a positive impact for most instances.

If players know their rage quit count is being watched and are warned over it, that could modify behavior.

#42 ondkaja

ondkaja

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:41 PM

If you have high ping, then you could !rep yourself and wait until a sub comes and takes your place, and it wouldn't count as a ragequit. As for other internet issues, it has to be the players' responsibility to ensure that their internet is stable enough to play the game. The only internet-related issue that is a "legit" ragequit, is if you can't connect to the server at all because of router issues.

#43 FromZero2Hero

FromZero2Hero

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:38 AM

You can report yourself, which doesn't count as a ragequit, afaik.

Introducing a cooldown period is an excellent way to reduce the amount of ragequits. If people already know there is a real punishment for it, they will automaticially ragequit less. 

#44 Tury

Tury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:56 AM

This would only work against people like Loveclop (who has played 800 lobbies and rage quit 230 times SINCE 2015).

Otherwise it would just punish people and make them not want to play here anymore.

I personally don't think that ragequitting is a problem on TF2Center. If they leave, you rep them. 

Maybe this would be a good idea for Advanced Lobbies, but I don't think for regular lobbies you should be punished for rage quitting. 

#45 bigr4232

bigr4232

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:21 AM

It's great that tf2center has been getting a lot of new people recently. A big problem that has come with it though is an excess amount of fail lobbies. As far as I know, leaving a center does nothing whatsoever except lowering a percentage that doesn't actually matter. Maybe if we could implement something like the csgo ban system for leaving lobbies that would help. People wouldn't leave as much if they got banned for it. As it stands right now, there really is no reason to not leave if your team is losing. Just a suggestion.

Edited by Mother Tereza, 16 May 2015 - 03:57 PM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Ban for Abandoning System"

#46 flintstone

flintstone

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

Yes, there's a feature to set minimum requirements for reliability in a lobby. No one uses them.

Most lobby leaders fail to ban players with poor reliability before the lobby starts, either because they don't care, or don't pay attention. More times than not, it's the people with less than 100% reliability that ragequit without repping themselves, or straight up don't show.

Why not have a cooldown for raqequits just like mumble?

Players can have the benefit of the doubt until about 70%. Less than that is an obvious issue.

We let players like this go unpunished for nearly 100 lobbies. I'm sure people had fun waiting for subs each time.

Edited by Mother Tereza, 16 May 2015 - 09:41 PM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Stricter Reliability Penalties"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scheduled