• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pallas

Pallas

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

I have been looking at other classes other than med and solly to sink my teeth into and try practicing with. Spy seems to me like the most interesting and most challenging class to master and I quite fancy having a shot at him. But if I'm gonna start adapting to his sort of style I need some tips from some other friendly folks out there to give me.

So what I want to know is...
1) What's the first thing you should remember to be doing when playing as spy?
2) Is there any effective ways of practicing spy that can help a spy noob like myself?
3) What's people's most preferred spy loadout in general?
4) When do you know you have done enough practice in order to play lobbies without getting your ass handed to ya?

Any feedback is well appreciated...^_^

#2 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

1) Think as if you were playing against yourself as whatever class you are pursuing on that team, so that you don't look out of the ordinary.

2)  Public TF2 Servers are good pratice

3) Dunno this one

4) That's mainly up to you

*** I don't main spy and I only play it every so often so take this advice with a grain of salt.

#3 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

1) Where's the Pyro? -> Near the combo -> Can I manage? -> Yes

-> No -> Do damage somewhere else

-> Dead -> Give the combo a shot

Obviously that's not nearly everything, but it's a good start. Another good thing is to keep track of who's around; you don't want to be caught disguised as an engie if he's with the combo.
2) Pubs are good, but keep things difficult. Use the kunai to put yourself at low hp; YER w/ DR to force yourself to shoot or trickstab

tr_walkway isn't too bad for practicing stuff like stairstabs and air straffing (put the ramp to max power and try to land on people's heads)
3) Ambassador is a great choice due to it's long rage abilities. That said, the Revolver can do a lot of damage if you're up close. Some people think of it as good vs bad aim day. I'm not a fan of L'étranger personally, but some people are.

The watch is purely situational, but keep in mind that the CnD is quite viable; I like to use it on first point defense among other things.
4) Hard to tell. A lot of being a spy revolves around gamesense, which is completely different in pubs and lobbies. The nice thing about spy though is that it's hard for a team to blame you if you're doing bad. In fact, if your team isn't doing well, the other team won't be distracted enough for you to do your stuff.

*** I main spy and play it fairly often, but I'm not that great so take this advice with a grain of salt.