• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JonahShrub

JonahShrub

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

"Oh no, some guy complaining about having bad ping in lobbies, better just close this immediately"

To start this off, my problem with lag in lobbies is not ping related so please hear me out.

First allow me to show you a picture that I just took in some random pub.

N0KKapG.jpg?1

So this is a picture of just a normal pub. I have good ping, good fps, blah blah blah. Now when I join tf2center games, my ping will vary from 40-70, but that usually doesn't matter. what does matter is that little thing that says in: and that thing that says out: (bottom right). Now in lobbies my out: stays the same, but my in: will jump up to anywhere from 1000-2000 or sometimes even more. Does this happen anywhere else? No, it does not happen to me in pubs, mge servers, or servers running competitive plugins (I recently played for a hl team and in no matches did I have any major problems with my in, only some occasional ping problems). I have no clue what causes this massive spike, and neither did my team leader when we tried to do a tf2center, he was puzzled. If you have any clue what may cause this please tell me.

An additional note; sometimes I can't even join the lobby and I will just get stuck in the loading screen, even if I input the server connect through console.

Thanks!

• Enginty likes this

#2 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

The lobby system itself shouldn't be causing these issues with the server, and it's (probably) not TF2C's fault. You might want to check with the owner of the server, because that seems to be an issue with the server, not TF2C.

#3 JonahShrub

JonahShrub

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

The lobby system itself shouldn't be causing these issues with the server, and it's (probably) not TF2C's fault. You might want to check with the owner of the server, because that seems to be an issue with the server, not TF2C.

This has happened to me with a lot of TF2C servers, not just one, and most of them were in different locations. Do you have any possible ideas what could be causing this? Is it a popular plugin amongst TF2C users?

#4 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

It might be serverme.tf servers? I'm just spitballing.

#5 JonahShrub

JonahShrub

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

It might be serverme.tf servers? I'm just spitballing.

Honestly anything is possible. I don't really know what "in" means, although I am assuming it is something related to packet intake or something, and that my intake is getting super high and I am not outputting fast enough causing lag. Something like that.

Here are some screenshots of a lobby I actually managed to get into

RA3lmhb.jpg?188zB20e.jpg?1Granted I had 200 ping, but the same thing would happen if I didn't, look at my in, it jumps from like 0 to 3700 in a second

Edited by JonahShrub, 01 July 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#6 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

This might be a stupid question, but has this always happened?

#7 JonahShrub

JonahShrub

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

This might be a stupid question, but has this always happened?

It happened occasionally back in the days of TF2Lobby, and I was able to play around 3 actual lobbies when this first came out, but now I can't play in any.

#8 Plateau_

Plateau_

• Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:57 AM

Hello all, I know you're thinking this may just be ping related, but hear me out for a minute;

Whenever I join a lobby (Always North American) I lag terribly. I have fine ping (anywhere from 20-90 ping) in every lobby, and I've played around 3-4 of them. All of them have the same lag issue. My movement studders, rubberbands, lags, and so does shooting weapons, switching weapons, sending chat messages, anything. I have no idea why. This confuses me, as I can join a pub right after and have no lag issues at all. I feel it may be the plugin, but it only happens in tf2center lobbies. It's very frustrating, and it isn't even playable. I haven't gotten around to playing a full round because I'm so uselessly laggy it's unenjoyable.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Anyone know of why this is happening? I'm really lost.

Edited by TheMattgician, 10 July 2014 - 09:58 AM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Terrible Lag Issues in Lobbies"

#9 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Plateau, can you tell if this is the same problem as JonahShrub?

#10 Plateau_

Plateau_

• Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Plateau, can you tell if this is the same problem as JonahShrub?

I could attempt it, what's the console command for that white menu that he has going at the bottom?

#11 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

I think it's ' net_graph 3 '. Try ' net_graph 2 ' and ' net_graph 1 '

#12 Plateau_

Plateau_

• Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Image from the average pub (At pretty much it's lowest in and out): 

http://i.imgur.com/Xz0o4KE.png

Image from the average pub (Pretty much it's max in and out):

http://i.imgur.com/4IlndAp.png

I'll get a screenie of a tf2c lobby in a bit.

#13 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

For reference in/out show the size of the last inbound and outbound packet. Not how many. This means that the server is sending abnormally large packets to the user.

According to these net graphs they are still receiving a normal number of total packets as shown at the far right of the net graph.

Edited by LastTalon, 10 July 2014 - 07:29 PM.

• Plateau_ likes this

#14 Plateau_

Plateau_

• Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

So, after joining a lobby, and leaving soon after, and losing reliability for it(unbearable lag), I managed to gather 3 screenshots. 

http://i.imgur.com/NcYiLzB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wIEBmOW.png

http://i.imgur.com/I8dRFqb.png

The thing I noticed was different is how much my out fluctuated. In pubs, it stays a consistent 80, but in lobbies, it spikes up to 100+. 

#15 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

The thing I noticed was different is how much my out fluctuated. In pubs, it stays a consistent 80, but in lobbies, it spikes up to 100+. 

That's actually normal because comp servers are sending more data than standard pub servers. Whats not normal is when its up to 3000 or whatever.

#16 Plateau_

Plateau_

• Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

That's actually normal because comp servers are sending more data than standard pub servers. Whats not normal is when its up to 3000 or whatever.

No idea then, I only get terrible lag in these servers.

#17 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

In JonahShrub's lobby it appears that part of the problem may be that only a few packets are being sent and received per second. I'm not sure what would be causing that issue though. Perhaps an issue with a firewall.

From the net graph shown on Plateau_'s I can't really tell what the issue seems to be.

Overall full net graphs would be more helpful to determine the issue. And as far as I can tell these are separate issues.

#18 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

TF2C doesn't interact with anything that could affect this in any way. We set rates and things as all competitive configs do, but I don't see anything that this is caused by us, sorry!

#19 Plateau_

Plateau_

• Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

So, a few weeks back, I had reported that I was lagging. Well, now I believe I know the cause. 

My friend(who is also a teammate) and I tried to figure out why I was having so much lag in servers, as it was unrelated to ping, packets, or fps. So, he loaded up his server and we tried a few things. We went on, and I was lagging, as usual, but I only lag like this in Tf2center matches, so, he re-exec'd the server config, and I no longer lagged, this happened with both the ugc, and etf2l configs. The odd thing is, I've participated in UGC matches, and never underwent this lag. So, we knew a fix for my problem, sadly, the server admin may not always be willing to do this, as you'd need every player in the server at the time of doing, due to the fact that it also resets the password.

The lag is unplayable, so, instead of trying to get the admin to always re-exec the server config(because its impractical and the odds of the admin doing that for 1 player is very slim) we tried turning off my firewall, and tried again. Same thing, lagged, then he reset the config, and I stopped lagging. I have no idea why this is, but it obviously has to do with the config not settling with my computer right. I really need some help here, I miss being able to hop on lobbies, and pubs are getting boring, because I don't have any more comp matches until next season.

Help.

By the way, my friend's alias is currently DrZoidy, he may know more about this than me, and it may be worth a shot talking to him rather than me. His steam profile: http://steamcommunit...61198060759931/

Thanks.

Edited by TheMattgician, 09 August 2014 - 08:23 AM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Progress on my lagging issue(still need help)"

#20 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

I moved this to the Lounge since this isn't a TF2C side bug.

Have you checked if anything in your autoexec could interact weirdly with competitive configs?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined