11 replies to this topic

#1 Guru™

Guru™

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hey!

Just a suggestion, after a match it would be helpful if the either ugc_off or server.cfg was executed.

(ugc_off for ugc, server for etf2l as I don't think they do a 'off' config)

Just a suggestion :)

Keep up the good work!

Guru

• The Once and Future King likes this

#2 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

Yeah,  this would be good.  Right now I just either restart my server or run the autoexec.cfg, any friends I have using it I just have to tell to exec autoexec.cfg and they don't always remember to do that.  If the system already did this automatically that would be awesome.

Does TF2 center actually run the UGC configs such that running ugc_off.cfg will actually work?

#3 Guru™

Guru™

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

TF2 Center runs the league configs that you pick. I guess just running server.cfg would be enough to reset the map and password.

#4 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

TF2 Center runs the league configs that you pick. I guess just running server.cfg would be enough to reset the map and password.

So what you are saying is that someone with a server but not in league would have to load a leagues CFGs in order to use this site?

#5 Guru™

Guru™

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

So what you are saying is that someone with a server but not in league would have to load a leagues CFGs in order to use this site?

TF2 Center runs the league config you pick IE: UGC, Etf2l: http://gyazo.com/abd...0b47ccb803da755

What don't you understand? They have to HAVE the configs on their server but tf2 center runs them. What is your issue?

#6 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

This could work, although it depends on if the lobby keeps track of what config you are using after you run it, it would be relatively easy to have it exec the respective league's stop config upon the end of the lobby.

#7 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

TF2 Center runs the league config you pick IE: UGC, Etf2l: http://gyazo.com/abd...0b47ccb803da755

What don't you understand? They have to HAVE the configs on their server but tf2 center runs them. What is your issue?

What don't you understand about English that made my question so hard for you to figure out?  What I was asking was weather what you said was the case or not ... so your answer to my question would be: Yes, you have to install the configs on a server in order to use it for TF2 center.  Instead of answering with a snarky smart ass comment.

For a while TF2 center didn't have this feature so I assume it used rcon commands to config the server .... the fact is that UGC configs do not limit classes in the same manner that TF2 center does, so it must do more than just run the config ...

#8 Guru™

Guru™

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

What don't you understand about English that made my question so hard for you to figure out?  What I was asking was weather what you said was the case or not ... so your answer to my question would be: Yes, you have to install the configs on a server in order to use it for TF2 center.

For a while TF2 center didn't have this feature so I assume it used rcon commands to config the server .... the fact is that UGC configs do not limit classes in the same manner that TF2 center does, so it must do more than just run the config ...

Lol. server.cfg comes with the server.. ugc_off would usually be installed with the other ugc configs. Yes, I know tf2 center enforces class limits (mp_highlander 1) but that doesn't really matter..

This could work, although it depends on if the lobby keeps track of what config you are using after you run it, it would be relatively easy to have it exec the respective league's stop config upon the end of the lobby.

Thats kinda what I was thinking :)

It was only a suggestion, calm down.

#9 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Lol. server.cfg comes with the server.

REally ?!?!?!? Wow never would have guessed that .... and this is relevant how?

#10 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

There's a lot of misinformation being thrown around in this thread. TF2Center sends all the configuration CVARS through rcon, just the same as you would type it into your console with rcon in front. There is no requirement to have league configs installed on your server.

However, because whitelists are not cvars, and are instead they are referenced by a cvar, they must be installed to get whitelisting working on your server. The single only one requirement for using tf2center with your server is the whitelist. Everything else it set by rcon. And even then it's technically not required, just highly recommended.

When I approached the developers about getting Australian TF2 supported I suggested that they just do "exec scrim" which would work with our config here but they specifically wanted to stay away from that so it would just work no strings attached. I should also note that the ugc configs are not actually used, it's a pretty simple rewrite of the standard sort of scrim/pug config. The main thing is that they reference the UGC whitelist.

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong here.

#11 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

There's a lot of misinformation being thrown around in this thread. TF2Center sends all the configuration CVARS through rcon, just the same as you would type it into your console with rcon in front. There is no requirement to have league configs installed on your server.

However, because whitelists are not cvars, and are instead they are referenced by a cvar, they must be installed to get whitelisting working on your server. The single only one requirement for using tf2center with your server is the whitelist. Everything else it set by rcon. And even then it's technically not required, just highly recommended.

When I approached the developers about getting Australian TF2 supported I suggested that they just do "exec scrim" which would work with our config here but they specifically wanted to stay away from that so it would just work no strings attached. I should also note that the ugc configs are not actually used, it's a pretty simple rewrite of the standard sort of scrim/pug config. The main thing is that they reference the UGC whitelist.

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong here.

This is what I suspected was the case, and what I was trying to get an answer to.  Thank you for verifying this.  

Getting back to the topic at hand this means that tf2center would need to run a server.cfg/autoexec.cfg type of file, running the autoexec would start the server fresh back at the beginning of the map cycle.  I don't know how feasible it is for the site to be able to know the lobby is done, and it would only be relavent for those of us who run the server on a rotation or even a specific map when it is not being used for lobbies.  I'm not sure how many people that would be vs how many people only use their servers for lobbies/league/comp play vs how many people use them with a normal config when they are not in use for that type of thing.  As it is any of us can easily run a cfg when the lobby is done, just that a lot of us are lazy and would be happy to see some kind of set up that did this automatically.  

I think for me the best thing about this would be that it would reset for those lobbies I am not in to do this with.  I have a group of friends who I allow to use my server and I have given them instructions to exec my autoexec.cfg, but I also occasionally log into TF2 center and check to see how many NA lobbies there are and if there are not many I will take map requests in the chat, set up a lobby for everyone and transfer lobby leadership to someone else just so that they can get a lobby going.  In cases like that where no one is in the lobby that actually has rcon access they do not have the ability to run a cfg to set the server back to normal so TF2center doing it automatically would be awesome.

#12 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

I don't know how feasible it is for the site to be able to know the lobby is done

It must know to some extent already because otherwise it would have no way of distinguishing when people have left during a game or left after the end of the game, though I don't know whether this is identified some other way. All I know is that whenever a lobby has a bad password it can tell that the game hasn't finished and as a result myself and the other players (unfairly) get auto-repped by the site. However it dosen't rep me after the game has been played so something like this must be possible.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined