#1 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

So, you want to learn how to play competitive medic? You've come to the right place!

Introduction

Playing medic can be hard, there is no doubt about that. However, it can also be one of the most rewarding roles in this game. You essentially carry the team on your back; without a good medic, a team won't make it very far, even with the best players. That being said, here is my take on how you can be the best you can be as a medic...

Mumble

To be a good medic you MUST be in mumble in order to hear your team's calls and so that you are aware of what is going on. Other advantages of this are explained later on.

Situational Awareness

Situational awareness is one of the biggest parts of playing medic. You are going to be targeted by everyone and everything because you are so important to your team. Because of this, you need to be extremely aware of what is going on around you. For example, if you are not paying attention and not aware what you are doing, you could easily step over-top of or near stickies which could cause you to die and drop uber if you had uber. Something extremely important that goes along with this is to check behind you for spies. Spies and snipers are likely to be your worst enemies as medic as they are not direct enemies that you can avoid like you can the rockets of a soldier or the grenades of a demoman. One wrong move around these two classes and you are toast, as they can both take you from full health to none instantly.  The best way to avoid spies is to check behind you often (I check behind myself every 2-3 seconds on average, since a spy can appear whenever.) If you do see a spy, you need to call him immediately so that your team can deal with him. It is not only the pyro's job to spycheck. The best way to avoid snipers is to stay out of their sightlines, which are generally the more open parts of the map. You may not know all of these immediately, but you will learn them quickly enough. Staying out of these lines while the sniper isn't down will help to prevent you from being shot in the head. Part of situational awareness is being in a good position. This means being in a spot where you can heal your teammates while not having to worry about an imminent threat of death. For example, if your pocket and most of the damage classes are down, your position should be back a bit in order to put more space between you and the other team as you don't have someone as capable of defending you alive.

Uber?

Uber is one of the most important things that a medic has at his disposal. It can turn the tide of a game. Because of this, it's important for Medics to be able to build their uber as fast as possible without dying. Medics should notify their whole team through mumble when/if they pop. Occasionally as a medic, you will get 'forced'. This means that you had to pop uber due to being in a situation where it is extremely likely that you will not survive without using the uber. "Pop it, don't drop it." Generally it will be a good idea to pop if you are at or below 50 health and you are in a situation where you are likely to take damage immediately or very soon. The uber will allow you and your currently ubered teammates to sustain attacks without damage (You will still be knocked back if an attack causes knockback though.) A good medic will flash his teammates with the uber if they are all going on. Flashing means ubering other teammates as it will give them uber for a few seconds, before it fades, giving them enough time to make use of it. Flashing also makes your uber drain faster, so if you and the enemy medic pop at near the same time, be cognizant of the comparable time in the ubers, and you might not want to flash if it means that your uber will not outlast the other medics. Uber is very useful on payload maps, and some of the time of KOTH/5CP.

Kritz?

Kritz is another type of 'uber', except instead of making the medic and his pocket invincible, it makes every projectile shot by the pocket a critical hit. This can be used to the medics advantage to down the other medic before he can build up a kritz to oppose yours, or an uber to negate the kritz. Kritz is majorly used on KOTH and some 5CP maps as the primary medigun. A thing to keep in mind while using kritz is that you are not invincible. It's very easily to die in the middle of a kritz pop if you are not careful, either by just taking too much damage, or getting backstabbed/headshot.

Medic loadouts for map types

No matter what medic loadout you run it is a good idea to run the crusader's crossbow and the ubersaw. These two weapons are each very valuable in their own use. The crusader's crossbow can be used to heal someone if they are a good distance away from you, provided that you can aim the shot correctly. This could mean the difference between the person dieing, or killing someone from the other team. The ubersaw is not used very often. However, when it is, it is extremely useful. Each hit you get on an enemy with the ubersaw will gain you 25% ubercharge. It is not recommended to use the ubersaw on anyone unless it is used as a last resort! This is especially important to remember when spies are around. Going after a spy with an ubersaw will likely result in death more times than not, as the spy has a much easier way to kill you than you him.

Primary loadout for:  PL

Crusader's crossbow

Medigun

Ubersaw

Primary loadout for: KOTH

Crusader's crossbow

Kritzkrieg

Ubersaw

The medigun used on cp matters too much based on situation and map, so I'm not going to put a loadout for that.

The crossbow can be substituted with the overdose if you want the speed increase from it.

One thing to keep in mind when using these loadouts is that they are only a guideline and not definitive. You should respond with different mediguns for different situations, where they are needed. The number of these situations is endless, so I'm not going to go into them here.

Knowing the other medic's percent

Another key thing to keep in mind as medic is that you should know the other medic's percentage or keep an estimate on it even if you are both using different mediguns. Knowing the other medic's percentage can tell you when to push and went to not walk straight into a kritz. The best way to tell percentage is pay attention to your spy's calls, and notice when he calls what percentage the enemy medic has, then estimate off that based on your own percentage increase what their percentage might be.

Heal order

This section differs based on if you are playing 6s or HL:

6s:

There are two more specific heal orders in 6s, one for rollout and one for the rest of the game. The heal order on rollout is to heal the demo, then the roamer (TO FULL BUFF), then the scouts, and then start healing your pocket once you get out to the point. Your pocket is the one person who is going to be mostly sticking with you, so make sure to keep him healed up after rollout. After rollout just try to keep your team alive while not dieing. (I don't play 6s medic so for anyone who does and wants to add information here, make a post below).

HL:

HL's heal order changes based on the map type. On 5CP and KOTH, you want to heal the demo and the soldier on rollout because a big part of both maps is getting to mid first. On PL, there isn't a very specific heal order. Besides rollout in HL, you want to keep your demo and heavy buffed (majorly) along with your pyro and sniper, when you can. Make sure to top off the health of the rest of your team when you can also, preferably before they come close to dieing. In HL, your pocket is either you demo, or your heavy. Usually it is the demo, but in some circumstances (the demo is dead) the heavy should be mainly being healed.

Let your pocket do his job

No matter what type of game you are playing (HL/6s/4v) it is important to let your pocket do his job. Primarily this job is to defend you and make sure you stay alive. Medics are defenseless by themselves, so they should always be healing someone, even if it's an engi or even a spy (Don't heal spies if they are behind the other team has this will give them away and put both of you in a very dangerous position.) You should never run in front of your pocket, as this will likely result in your death because you will be absorbing damage that your pocket should be absorbing because he is being healed.

Communication

Medics need to be in communication with their teams at almost all times. This helps them stay alive and also helps their teammates stay alive. This includes explaining to your teammates where you are, your percent uber (usually done at 50%, 75%, 85%, 90%, and full uber, though this differs from medic to medic.) At the same time, you should be calling everything you see, and if something is attacking you. That way, your team can respond as fast as they can to make sure you stay alive.

Tracking your progress

Always record logs of your gameplays. You can go back and watch these logs after you are done playing to figure out what you did wrong and how to fix it. It also wouldn't hurt to watch how other medics play, as you can learn things from it. Looking at the stats after a match is also a good way to track your progress.

In conclusion, key points:

• Use Mumble!
  • Be aware of what is going on around you and check for spies often
  • Use a medic loadout based on the map-type and situation you are in.
  • Do not get in front of your pocket when he is trying to defend you
  • Communication is key!
  • Don't die, and have fun.

I will add more to this guide if any suggestions are made or if I come up with anything else that is needed.

tl;dr Go read the guide, it's useful.

Edited by VoidWhisperer, 17 March 2014 - 11:40 PM.

• jayserp, Mother Tereza, UL7RA and 6 others like this

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

You should add a segment about counting what uber percentage the other team has and calling it out.

#3 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

You should add a segment about counting what uber percentage the other team has and calling it out.

Added!

#4 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Ok a few things:

1. Positioning needs way more mention. You state that you should keep behind your pocket but there are times where your pocket is dead but your team are still pushing (and don't rely on the roamer to pocket you in lobbies). Positioning is a very complex but extremely important part of medic and needs more coverage here.
  2. I don't think the thing about the kritzkrieg being the main medigun on CP should be in there. It's far too map-dependent, for example cp_process I would say is much more of an uber map because of the very open mid and the abundance of choke points. If I were a beginner reading this I wouldn't realise this.
  3. Also I agree the ubersaw is pretty much the melee weapon to use but whilst I prefer the xbow I know a lot of very good medics use the overdose for the speed boost, it's a very legitimate tactic.
  4. Perhaps also some general ways to tell how well you are doing e.g. recording demos, log analysis, watching other medics play etc.

Aside from that I think this is a pretty good (albiet basic) guide to comp medic.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#5 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

Ok a few things:

1. Positioning needs way more mention. You state that you should keep behind your pocket but there are times where your pocket is dead but your team are still pushing (and don't rely on the roamer to pocket you in lobbies). Positioning is a very complex but extremely important part of medic and needs more coverage here.
  2. I don't think the thing about the kritzkrieg being the main medigun on CP should be in there. It's far too map-dependent, for example cp_process I would say is much more of an uber map because of the very open mid and the abundance of choke points. If I were a beginner reading this I wouldn't realise this.
  3. Also I agree the ubersaw is pretty much the melee weapon to use but whilst I prefer the xbow I know a lot of very good medics use the overdose for the speed boost, it's a very legitimate tactic.
  4. Perhaps also some general ways to tell how well you are doing e.g. recording demos, log analysis, watching other medics play etc.

Aside from that I think this is a pretty good (albiet basic) guide to comp medic.

I think it is a bit more than a basic guide. What you said comes off as a bit condescending.

Edited by VoidWhisperer, 10 March 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#6 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

It sounds condescending, but the point is that it isn't extremely in depth (which is fine). Obviously there will always be stuff to add.

#7 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

It sounds condescending, but the point is that it isn't extremely in depth (which is fine). Obviously there will always be stuff to add.

I just think that he should try to make things come off as less condescending. Yes, this guide could be improved, but it looked like no one else was going to write it so I went and did it.

Edited by VoidWhisperer, 10 March 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#8 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

I think it is a bit more than a basic guide. What you said comes off as a bit condescending.

I do apologise if I came off as condescending. I didn't intend this, I was merely giving honest feedback although I do come off as quite blunt. I'll try and be a bit more careful in the future.

I thought of something else too which would be good to include: heal orders. Obviously a very complex topic but the generic heal order is:

1. Demo
  2. Roamer (to full buff)
  3. Scouts
  4. Pocket

Obviously this is situational but in a situation where you're not under too much pressure and nobody in particular is about to die then this is the general order. Obviously for rollouts it's more like (Demo > Roamer > scouts > Roamer > pocket) but rollout is unique in that respect.

Former TF2C Moderator

#9 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

I do apologise if I came off as condescending. I didn't intend this, I was merely giving honest feedback although I do come off as quite blunt. I'll try and be a bit more careful in the future.

I thought of something else too which would be good to include: heal orders. Obviously a very complex topic but the generic heal order is:

1. Demo
  2. Roamer (to full buff)
  3. Scouts
  4. Pocket

Obviously this is situational but in a situation where you're not under too much pressure and nobody in particular is about to die then this is the general order. Obviously for rollouts it's more like (Demo > Roamer > scouts > Roamer > pocket) but rollout is unique in that respect.

I will add this info when I'm done with my current lobby. :)

That wasn't orginally added because I have yet to dwelve into the land of 6s medics. :P

Edit: Added to the best extent I can 6s wise

Edited by VoidWhisperer, 11 March 2014 - 12:53 AM.

#10 Timon

Timon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

I think you can do way better than that. Just make a short video showing rollouts from medic POV.

#11 yesdogboy

yesdogboy

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

http://www.youtube.c...owoptions=false

this vid is before gunboats tho

#12 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'll work on getting a rollout on probably granary or badlands recorded and toss it up in a youtube video.

#13 Aegis

Aegis

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I feel you missed out on the actual important points that new medics should be aware of (since this looks like mainly a HL guide).

• Demo is the pocket in HL.
  • Pyro is part of your combo and you should keep him around and healed.
  • Uber is NOT always the best choice for KOTH.
  • Soldier in HL is NOT a heal priority (since he should be mainly playing healthpacks on flank).
  • Keeping your sniper buffed is extremely important in stalemates.

You didn't really talk about what types of uber pushes are the most effective, flashing, spy awareness and timings, etc.

#14 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:38 PM

I feel you missed out on the actual important points that new medics should be aware of (since this looks like mainly a HL guide).

• Soldier in HL is NOT a heal priority (since he should be mainly playing healthpacks on flank).

You didn't really talk about what types of uber pushes are the most effective, flashing, spy awareness and timings, etc.

I don't think you read it.. I said specifically to run kritz on koth, situational awareness is key, etc. However, I added the points that you listed that I did miss.

Edited by VoidWhisperer, 17 March 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#15 suchsmallhands

suchsmallhands

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

I'm just sitting here trying to figure why a steel HL player went and wrote a guide that included 6's med. Lots of mediocre or wrong info. The goal of a guide shouldn't be to get people to play at a lobby level, which is all this guide does, while also throwing in misinformation.

#16 Aegis

Aegis

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

I don't think you read it.. I said specifically to run kritz on koth, situational awareness is key, etc. However, I added the points that you listed that I did miss.

Whoops, I made a typo. I meant Kritz is NOT the best for koth.

#17 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'm open to why it's not the best, I'm just curious as to why since that is what it seems like most medics run on KOTH

Edited by VoidWhisperer, 19 March 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#18 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:02 AM

I'm open to why it's not the best, I'm just curious as to why since that is what it seems like most medics run on KOTH

I don't know for sure why this is but from what I've heard cp_process is a pretty bad map to run kritz to mid to because it's full of chokepoint entrances which means you can get easily spammed out during a kritz push and it's wide open at mid with plenty of cover to hide behind so it's pretty hard to hit someone with, say, a krit sticky. It's not that it's not viable but personally I would always run uber to process mid fights unless my demo knows exactly what he is doing.

cp_badlands however is a much smaller mid, with less avaliable cover and an entrance point that isn't a chokepoint (valley) not to mention a ton of flanks.

This is one of the reasons I would imagine but as I say I'm pretty new to med so don't quote me on this.

Former TF2C Moderator

#19 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

I don't know for sure why this is but from what I've heard cp_process is a pretty bad map to run kritz to mid to because it's full of chokepoint entrances which means you can get easily spammed out during a kritz push and it's wide open at mid with plenty of cover to hide behind so it's pretty hard to hit someone with, say, a krit sticky. It's not that it's not viable but personally I would always run uber to process mid fights unless my demo knows exactly what he is doing.

cp_badlands however is a much smaller mid, with less avaliable cover and an entrance point that isn't a chokepoint (valley) not to mention a ton of flanks.

This is one of the reasons I would imagine but as I say I'm pretty new to med so don't quote me on this.

I also think that medics should just run what they feel comfortable with on a map and only use this as a guideline, as I said in the guide. :P

#20 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Most teams we scrim are using kritz, can you explain how you came to that conclusion?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guide