4 replies to this topic

#1 slayer

slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

Frequently I find a few problems with sub slots, and think I have a few improvement suggestions.

1) If the game hasn't started yet, or only started a couple minutes ago, the sub icon could be something different, or could have the word "New" by it, to indicate that its a new lobby.  This might encourage a lot more people to pick up that sub slot, especially medic slots.

2) If someone disconnects or rage quits in the last say 3-4 minutes for the map timer (usually 30 minutes) then a sub slot should not be requested even if the person is reported.  I've joined several lobbies, one today even where I joined only to have the round end in 10 seconds.  Why waste time with that?

3) I know the reliability system is probably still being worked on, but joining a sub slot I think should erase one prior rep that you have received.  It would be like a way to quickly earn back your reputation.

Let me know your thoughts!

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:34 AM

1) The idea of having a timer indicating how long ago a lobby has started was rejected because we still want people to join lobbies that have already started. Your idea however is more vague, which I think is an interesting solution. I'll take this to the devs.

2) Again, this sounds familiar. It was probably put on the list, but I'll check with the devs.

3) Interesting idea to promote subbing, though I don't think it should remove an entire rep. Maybe you'd need 2 or 3 subs to erase one. However, I feel like it would give the idea that subbing is a bit out of the ordinary, which it shouldn't be. Anyway, it isn't that hard to get your rep back, reliabiliy is counted on your last 20 games.

#3 slayer

slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

1) The idea of having a timer indicating how long ago a lobby has started was rejected because we still want people to join lobbies that have already started. Your idea however is more vague, which I think is an interesting solution. I'll take this to the devs.

2) Again, this sounds familiar. It was probably put on the list, but I'll check with the devs.

3) Interesting idea to promote subbing, though I don't think it should remove an entire rep. Maybe you'd need 2 or 3 subs to erase one. However, I feel like it would give the idea that subbing is a bit out of the ordinary, which it shouldn't be. Anyway, it isn't that hard to get your rep back, reliabiliy is counted on your last 20 games.

Yea, having a timer on the sub slots wouldn't be a good idea.  But I think the whole "NEW" thing on a sub slot for a lobby that hasn't started or just started a couple minutes ago, would encourage users to actively and quickly pick up those slots.

Subbing some classes is quite rare, for example medic subs seem to take a lot longer or sometimes never happen.  People do pick up sub slots, but quite a few times I've seen it take 5-10 minutes.  If a lobby said NEW by it, users could join with the confidence that its a new game with a clean slate.

And the whole 2-3 subs to erase one disconnect/RQ sounds like a great idea.  It would be an added incentive.

One other major problem I've seen is people taking their own sub slot.  I was in a highlander lobby 2 days ago and we waited on one guy to join.  He got repped, he joined the sub slot, he got repped again and he literally joined his sub slot for the 3rd time where he was FINALLY able to connect.  Why is it that one single guy can delay a game by 10 minutes for the other 17 players on the server?  One guy can waste 170 minutes worth of peoples time?

Edited by slayer, 12 November 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#4 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

The idea to mark subs requests for the games that hasn't started yet is good. This is a typical situation and some indication of it could help find a subs faster.

#5 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:34 AM

(1) has been approved by the devs, (3) needs more discussion.

I'll keep this tagged as 'under review'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Under Review